Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A frequently asked question

I believe that before you begin blogging, you should first decide what your blog will be all about then you come up with a good name. It took me 2 cups of instant coffee and a lot of thinking before coming up with the name Barefoot Concessions. If you are like me, you might ask why the name. So here's the answer...

The ancient Druids and Peruvians were among the first to practice the custom of not wearing any footwear during rituals. Symbolically, this means being humble in God's presence. My understanding of "barefoot" is the state of being real and natural, in short "unadulterated".  Concession on the other hand means yielding or surrendering, not in defeat though. People usually hold tight to their views but after going through what I went through in my life, I realized that sometimes, despite our good intentions, some things don't go as planned. We ask a lot of whys and what ifs and very few spend time to reflect on the situation. It takes a lot of maturity and strength to take a few steps back and accept that some things aren't meant to be. So my " barefoot concessions" are my "unadulterated yielding" to life, my acceptance that no matter who or what I am, I am still a speck  in the universe.

And it helps that I like Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment